Thursday, August 17, 2006

11.5.9 install

Yesterday I successfully installed 11.5.9 on my windows XP laptop. Before I could begin the install I first had to install al kind of tools like cygwin, gnumake etc...Also installed VC2005 (C++). See note 117545.1 on Metalink for these tools.....
After doing this, I finally began the installation. The first problem I encountered was that the rapid installer didn't find any free space on my external disk. , Found a solution on Metalink, a higher version of the installer (patch 3486525, oui version 11.5.9.22 ). Ok, now it reconized my 250 gb of free space, but finds other errors, which the older version did not encounter ?? Tried again with the older version and ......it works !!!! Don't know why, and I don't care.
So lets begin...Oracle calls it the rapidwiz, but I don't know what's rapid about it...
Because I want to install a vision database, a ebs database with data, the installer skips the first database cd's ( I think...). There are 18 database cd's and at 98 % (cd 18) the installer suddenly hangs....it hangs on adsvdcnv.cmd, at least it takes a long time. Just in case it really hangs, lets google..and yes I find some people with the same problem. But none of them satisfy me. Lets find the logfiles....I found them in the $ORACLE_HOME/appsutil/logs
Huh, the installer hangs on the database conversion, but according to the logfile two steps ago it ran into an error ? It seems the database creation did not went very well..I cannot log in as sysdba and neither can the script that should create the controlfiles !!
I can log in as SYSOPER with pwd change_on_install, and from there connect as sysdba (?)
Created the controlfile myself, and also finished the other scripts including the adsvdcnv.cmd script. No errors...it takes 2 minutes to run this command...But still the installer hangs. In the windows taskmanager I find a sql session...lets kill it. Yes, the installer continues and asks for the tools cd nr1.
It took me te whole night to finish the installation, but it did. At the end there was only a problem with JSP pages, I have to figure that out tonight..

I still don't know why the creation of the database went wrong, but I'm glad I was able to solve the problem. Now that I have an 11.5.9 EBS running, I can patch, clone etc...

2 comments:

Marco Gralike said...

Don't know why, and I don't care.

The TMP-space is set via a variable in your shell environment. The new script probably set your temp space variable correct, which caused the old script to function properly. I don't know it by hart but I think it was $TMPDIR

Sridevi Koduru said...

Regards
Sridevi Koduru (Senior Oracle Apps Trainer Oracleappstechnical.com)
LinkedIn profile - https://in.linkedin.com/in/sridevi-koduru-9b876a8b
Please Contact for One to One Online Training on Oracle Apps Technical, Financials, SCM, Oracle Manufacturing, OAF, ADF, SQL, PL/SQL, D2K at sridevikoduru@oracleappstechnical.com | +91 - 9581017828.