Thursday, October 19, 2006

Installing 9i database on Suse SLES9

Last week I was asked to install two databases on a Suse linux environment running on vmware. It had to be a 10g datawarehouse database and a 9i ( database.
Next to the datawarehouse database I also had to install Oracle warehouse builder (owb) 10g.
I started with the owb software and the 10g datawarehouse database. I installed an owb repository in the 10g dwh database and the 10g install was ready. Next database was the 9i database..I first installed the 9.2.0 software and patched it up to 9.2.07. After the patch was installed, I tried to create a database using DBCA. But DBCA did not work !! I have used DBCA before and never experienced any problems with it....I encountered two problems..

1. Starting up DBCA and getting the following error '/oracle/product/9.2.0/db1/bin/dbca line 124: 16015 Killed $JRE_DIR/bin/jre DORACLE_HOME=$OH -DJDBC_PROTOCOL=thin -mx64m -classpath $CLASSPATH oracle.sysman.assistants.dbca.Dbca $ARGUMENTS '
Via Metalink note 292278.1 I found out that you have to adjust the dbca script (!!). You have to modify the line #124 in the dbca script. Change it to '$JRE_DIR/bin/jre -native -DORACLE_HOME=$OH -DJDBC_PROTOCOL=thin -mx64m -classpath $CLASSPATH oracle.sysman.assistants.dbca.Dbca $ARGUMENTS '. After the change, I had to run the script in the $ORACLE_HOME (as root..) and DBCA started up without errors....

2. During the creation of the database the following error occurred.. 'ORA-27125: unable to create shared memory segment'. I found note 293988.1 on Metalink, and the note claimed it was a kernel problem. But my kernel was not the same as the 'problem' kernel, so I did not see any use in upgrading my kernel. There is also a workaround. As root try the following..
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/disable_cap_mlock
After this, I tried to create the database again and this time no problems....

Monday, October 16, 2006

EBS Install problems

During my 11.5.10 install on Redhat ES 3.0, I experienced some problems.
1. After installing the APPL_TOP (almost at the end of the install....), the installer wants to run autoconfig. But the installer hangs and when checking the logfile, the following error occurs.. cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I searched Metalink for a solution and found out that the compat-db-4.1.25-6.i386.rpm package should be installed. After installaing the package, the problem was not solved...Using google I found out that someone had tried to relink the to is present in the /usr/lib directory, so lets give it a try. After generating the link using ln -s, I restarted the rapidwiz (./rapidwiz -restart) and this time the installer continued !!!
2. The second problem occured at the post install checks by the installer. According to the installer my *.dbc file in the $FND_TOP/secure was corrupt. Seemed kind a strange, since the rapidwiz did create the dbc file in the first place. When looking at the dbc file, I noticed that the dbc file the installer used to connect to the databaseas in fact no more then a template !!! The rapidwiz never produced a valid dbc file, which I coukd use to connect to my 11i database. But I never saw an error anywhere ?? I decided to run autoconfig myself and find out where autoconfig is going wrong. Autoconfig ended with 'no errors' ??? The autoconfig proces did create a dbc file this time. I ran the post install check again, and everything was fine.
3. The last problem was a FRM-92050 error when trying to connect to the forms server.
This error was solved using the note 299187.1 from Metalink. I had to set two variables, the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL (2.4.19) and the $LANG (empty).

So, now my EBS 11.5.10 is working and I will look for more problems.

Monday, October 09, 2006

EBS 11.5.10

It has been a whule since my last post. I have been busy with al lot of things.
I finally managed to install EBS 11.5.10 on Redhat ES 3.0
Before and during the install of EBS I ran into a lot of problems. The easy ones were mostly corrupted EBS dvd's or in case of a disk download from edelivery, an invalid download.
It took me a few days (!!!) to get the whole stage area complete and working.

What other problems I encountered, I will post later on...