Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Internet Explorer 7 blocker....

After my last automatic update on Windows XP, suddenly Internet Explorer 7.0 was installed instead of IE6. From that moment on, I had some problems when I wanted to start an EBS session...
I decided to uninstall IE7. After the uninstall, IE6 is returned....But also my install updates icon !!! Windows wants to install IE7 again. On Metalink I found the following tool from Microsoft. It's a IE7 blocking tool, so the automatic updates are installed, but IE7 is not.
Download the exe form the following site ....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4516A6F7-5D44-482B-9DBD-869B4A90159C&displaylang=en

After installing the .exe, 4 files are placed on your computer.
When executing the IE70Blocker.cmd, a new registry key is created which prevents IE7 from being installed by the next automatic update...
From the command prompt

C:\>IE70Blocker /B

MICROSOFT TOOL KIT TO DISABLE DELIVERY OFMICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 7
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Blocking deployment of Internet Explorer 7.0 on the local machine
The operation completed successfully

No comments: