Friday, January 18, 2008

vmware converter


For a colleague ( an Oracle EBS functional consultant), I had to install 2 EBS environments on a hard disk (500gb). Using vmware, he would be able to play around, or use the the environments for a demo. I already created both environments using vmware workstation, but decided it would be better to use vmware server. Because vmware server cannot work with the already created workstation environments, I thought starting over waas the only option. Just to check if someone else already faced the same problem, I decided to google for 'vmware conversion' and I found something about Vmware Converter. It seems vmware already created a tool for this kind of conversions !! You can download the tool from the vmware site. I converted the first workstation environment and it worked. I started the new vmware server environment and everything worked like before. Great tool !!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've used this tool to convert the Windows installation that came with my laptop to a virtual disk, which I then used as a virtual machine on the same laptop after installing Linux on it instead (to avoid repeating the installations our internal IT had done (VPN client and so on). And to avoid dual boot on the laptop.

That worked great as well, even when running the virtual machine converted with VMware Converter not in VMware, but in Virtualbox.